Denture Care and Maintenance: How to Keep Your Dentures in Tip-top Shape
Quality dentures can last for a long time when properly cared for. Using reliable dentures each day can have a huge impact on your quality of life – whether it’s easily chewing food to smiling more confidently – so it’s important to carry out consistent denture care.
Similar to our original set of teeth, dentures can become cracked, damaged, and discoloured. With the right advice, it’s straightforward to look after your valuable dentures and prevent discomfort or unsightly staining.
Learn all about maintaining your dentures, and how to know when it’s time to repair or replace your essential replacement teeth.
The importance of regular denture care
Whether you have multiple missing teeth or a weakened jawbone, it’s never easy to live with poor oral health. With negative impacts such as issues with eating and speaking, investing in premium dentures can be a real game changer for your day-to-day quality of life.
To make the most of this investment and ensure a long denture lifespan, daily denture maintenance is essential. As well as regular cleaning and careful handling, it’s important to book regular dental checkups with denture experts like EDR who can prevent potential issues from taking hold.
With regular care, quality dentures can last from five to ten years before needing repair or replacement.
Key tips for denture maintenance
All forms of dentures, from full and partial fits to implant-supported designs, need daily care for both your oral health and retaining the natural denture appearance:
- Rinse after eating – a vital part of denture maintenance is removing and rinsing them after each meal, removing food particles and preventing bacteria build-up.
- Clean your mouth – gently clean your teeth, tongue, and cheeks with a soft toothbrush, as well as remove denture adhesive from your gums
- Brush daily – as well as clean your natural teeth and gums, brush your dentures at least once a day to remove plaque and stuck food debris.
- Handle carefully – to keep your dentures safe, place a towel or sink of water underneath your dentures when cleaning, to prevent them from breaking if accidentally dropped.
- Soak overnight – dentures need moisture to retain their shape, so follow expert advice on how to best store your dentures overnight; typically in water or a denture-soaking solution. Be sure to rinse them thoroughly before placing them back in your mouth.
What to look for in damaged dentures
If you begin to feel pain or discomfort when wearing your denture, it’s important to book a checkup with a trusted denture repair expert to prevent further irritation. While many impaired dentures happen due to being accidentally dropped, other causes include using harsh cleaning materials, products containing bleach, and very hot water.
Common signs of damaged dentures include:
- Broken or cracked dentures
- Overall discomfort
- Loose fit
- Issues chewing or speaking
- Altered facial appearance
- Bad breath
Do I need efficient and reliable denture repair?
Should your dentures begin to sit differently in your mouth or no longer operate as normal, there’s a good chance you need expert denture repairs in Perth. Whether your dentures were accidentally broken or you’re having trouble chewing, it’s important to book a checkup for denture repair with the professionals at EDR to prevent harm to your oral health in the form of sores, irritation, and infection.
When to replace your dentures in Perth
The best way to determine if your dentures need replacing is to get expert advice from WA’s most knowledgeable denture dentists. Key signs you need new dentures include:
- Worsening pain
- Sores or lesions
- Difficulty chewing or speaking
- Stained, chipped, or broken dentures
- Dentures older than 7 years
Get specialist denture care from EDR
The expert dentists at Emergency Denture Repairs are adept at providing urgent denture repairs when you need them most, even operating a mobile clinic for at-home denture services.